For this project we transformed a building originally built in 1917 and classified as a historical asset on Madrid’s Gran Vía into a four-star hotel. The metallic structure was conserved and the new spaces ordered and prioritized to meet with its new functional requirements. All of the floors were gutted to free up space to be able to move around the five patios. These were then surrounded by the rooms that look out onto the three street-facing façades.
The materials used to decorate the spaces and the different kinds of lighting in the rooms create a warm and inviting ambiance. The bar and restaurant use more original elements and forms like the long stainless steel, rubber, and glass bar which extends to the entrance to direct foot traffic.
The entire front face of the ground and second floor is of matte stainless steel and transparent glass, rising from between the original foundry and granite columns. At night, the warm inner lighting pours out onto the liveliest streets in the neighborhood from the hotel’s public spaces.
The hotel’s name pays homage to the world of literature and the pictograph as the building blocks of written language. Extracts from different authors of poems, essays, and short stories have all been inscribed upon the walls.